Monday, November 14, 2011

Biking to Annapolis

Dan Bikephoto



I like to bike to work between Union Station and Georgetown Mon - Fri. Usually when I say that to someone, they assume its a direct route, about four miles. Following Massachusetts Avenue to DuPont Circle then over the Q St Bridge to Georgetown. Actually I reverse this and go direct when heading home from work. But most mornings I enjoy Washington DC's Bike routes. From Union Station I head to Jefferson's Memorial, from there I can take one of several routes. Rock Creek to Capital Crescent, or Mt Vernon to Four Mile run to WD&O to the Custis Trail. On average I bike ride 17 to 20 miles, sometimes as much as 30 miles. However I don't like rain or snow and ice at all. I'll drive in or take the bus or metro on those days. On average I should be getting 3400 miles annually.

I love to use the Single Speed I bought from Buddy, My brother in law. It's a Chrome Alloy one geared bike. The current gearing is a 3:1 ratio, a high end ratio for on-road single speeds. The simple bike benefits me because its very strong and low maintenance. If I had an expensive bike it would last maybe two years. With this Raleigh Rush Hour bike I can consistently punish it and yet depend on it everyday.

This weekend I did what I love most with biking, I went on a long ride group ride. Saturday I went down to DC to get the bike and spent a little while taking photos like the one above. Sunday I met up with Buddy at Marley Sta Mall. I went north to BWI, around the loop then we went back south all the way to Annapolis, had lunch in Annapolis (it was pretty good shrimp with spicy brown rice) then back to Marley. All total about 48 miles. Here is a link to that ride, broken into two segments.
Segment 1 (Strava) or (Endomondo)
Segment 2 (Strava) or (Endomondo)

No comments:

Post a Comment